Friday, September 08, 2006

The State of New York has pissed me off already. I have to apply to the state for PERMISSION to take their state cosmetology board examinations, both practical and written, because I happen to only have been a licensed hairstylist for 3, as opposed to 5, years. I have to go through my industry's equivalent of the SATs AGAIN! And do so in New York, which of course will have a vastly different written test and practical exam than the ones I originally took. So I am basically starting all over again, as if I had just graduated from hair school. ARRRRGGGGGHHHHHH.

The State of NY doesn't have what is called reciprocity with the State of Kansas, meaning they don't accept a Kansas cosmetology license as being the equivalent of their own, even though Kansas requires 1500 hours of education to receive a license, while NY requires only 1000. NY cosmetology students go to school for about 6 months--Kansas students are in school for a year, but I have to retake the NY cosmetology tests to prove that I am qualified to slap hair around in Manhattan--please. It's a scam--it's a revenue producer for the state--it has to be, because when I asked what other states NY does have reciprocity with for cosmetology licenses, the answer was Arkansas and Alaska. I AM NOT KIDDING. How convenient is that--how many hairstylists move from Arkansas and Alaska to NY every year? There is a fee for applying for permission to take the NY tests, a fee for a temporary license that allows me to work as a hairstylist while I am studying for the tests, fees and material requirements for the tests themselves, and finally, a fee for the cosmetology license itself if I pass the NY exams. Wonderful.

The written test isn't a big deal, but the practical exam is a nightmare--you are in a tiny room with a zillion other really nervous people for about 3 hours in total silence--you are not allowed to speak or do anything unless the state cosmetology board inspectors tell you you can. You do a basic haircut in silence, you roll a perm in silence, you make pin curls and finger waves in total silence, and all the while inspectors are walking circles around you staring over your shoulder, grading your every move. It's enough pressure to cause a spontaneous attack of Tourettes Syndrome. Can't WAIT.

Screw it--I can handle it--bring it on NY--is that all ya got?

No comments: